Why do people follow artists on Instagram? The third part of the survey results on personal branding for artists.
Let’s start with the good news: you don’t have to offer prize games to be interesting for fans and followers.
Most important reason: the work itself, i.e. the music, the artwork, etc. Conclusion: to be interesting, the work itself must be interesting to followers.
No surprise is the number 3, interest in the artist’s personal life. Number 4 isn’t a surprise as well. Instagram thrives on giving other people a glimpse into your life.
Number 5 is occupied by a positive outlook on life with a good dash of humor. This result is quite surprising, because you can overdo it with humor to such an extent that you make a clown out of yourself, and your seriousness as an artist suffers as a result. Therefore, one should think very carefully in what way one uses this stylistic device.
No surprise is the place number 6, but number 7 is. We personally thought that artists also have a role model function in a certain way, this seems to play a rather subordinate role.
Also a surprise were the places 8 and 9, because one would think that just surprising and creative ideas and standing out from the mainstream are really important for artists.
English Translation of the questions:
- I am a fan of the artist (I am a fan of his/her music, books, exhibitions, etc.)
- I am interested in his/her personal life (How does he/she live? What hobbies does he/she have? How does he/she spend the day? etc.)
- She/he provides information about her/his future events/exhibitions/concerts/readings, etc.
- I would like to know more about her/his activities
- She/he is simply likeable, interesting, fascinating to me as a person
- She/he stands out from the mainstream, is something special in my opinion
- She/he has surprising and creative ideas
- She/he posts great, beautiful photos/videos of herself/himself
- She/he offers prize games
14.She/he belongs to my circle of friends
- I follow her/him out of solidarity among artists
- I do something similar to the artist (play music myself, paint myself, DJ myself, …)
- She/he shares helpful information about her/his work or the creative process
- I like his/her interaction with his/her followers
- I get inspired by her/him
That’s it for today. There will be more next week.
More about Personal Branding…
- Personal branding, the results of the survey. Part 5
- Personal branding, the results of the survey. Part 4.
- Personal branding, the results of the survey. Part 3
- Personal branding, the results of the survey. Part 2.
- Personal branding survey, the results of the survey. Part 1.
- Personal Branding for Artists – An Empirical Study, Part 1
- pBrand of the week: Matuschke
- A Christmas gift for executives – personal branding with how2change
- All problems solved! Discover the power of the pBranding-Ishikawa-Diagram.
- Long live the freedom of theory! The new, practice-oriented approach in my marketing lecture at the THD