Last week I promised to show you a systematic approach to develop your very own positioning strategy – to make you outstanding beside all your competitors. And so here we are with a positioning matrix for the techno genre! This two dimensional matrix allows you to…
- get an overview over your entire music business
- understand your competitors´ business strategies
- identify the „white spots“ you might want to cover (boost musical creativity).
To make it possible to characterize and assess techno music/tracks I suggest two aspects, namely aggressiveness of tracks plus complexity of instrumentation. The first distinguishes between highly aggressive tracks, fast and pushing, ideal to mark a peak in your set, and smooth ones, more ambient and calm.
The latter aspect, complexity of instrumentation, needs a little more looking into. We can categorize three subsegments:
- segment one: rythm based. These tracks are dominated by rythm (hard kick, sharp highhats etc.), hard bass lines, and/or noises (cracks, sweeps,..), and/or voices/whispers (dry, FX). Songs have a simple structure and are mostly powerful.
- segment two: pad based. These tracks are dominated by pads and ambient or evolving sounds (calm, airy, a bit sedating,..), in combination with sounds mentioned above. During the past two years a growing number of producers have developed a love for combining pad sounds with hard and pushing rythms.
- segment three: melody based. Tracks dominated by a melody (synthesizer and/or vocals), chord progressions combined with all sounds mentioned above. The melody will usually be longer than one bar and consist of more than just a few notes.
With this we will create our 2D positioning matrix and, starting next week, how to use this method for DJing and music production. Stay tuned!
Mehr zu diesem Thema…
- House Altar – Mai 2021 DJ Set.
- My Uncle’s House Altar – März 2021 DJ Set.
- Mixcon 2020 – die Geheimnisse des Personal Branding in Kurzform.
- Warum eigentlich Personal Branding? Teil 2, was bringt es mir eigentlich?
- Was Sie schon immer über Personal Branding wissen wollten und warum die mixcon 2020 der erste Schritt in die richtige Richtung ist.
- Let’s play techno tonight…
- Was man nicht so alles im Internet findet…
- THD goes DJing! Die vierte Runde.
- Endlich mal wieder ein neues DJ-set. email@example.com, #1.
- Mal wieder von meiner eigenen Zeitplanung überholt worden. Die Selbstverwirklichung muss dann mal warten.